Monday, January 09, 2006

The Process of Writing

Web pages load graphics differently. (This is a writing analogy, so stick with me.) Some of them load the whole graphic in one big, pixilated rough render, then with each pass the engine paints in more and more detail until you end up with the finely-detailed finished product. The point is, that first sweep is rough and quick, and each subsequent sweep paints in the fine stuff.

Another way to render is the slow and detailed approach. The graphic is loaded line by line, but each line is perfect in detail. When the lines have finished loading, you have the finished graphic. No subsequent passes are needed.

Writing is like that as well. Up until now I have been the line by line kind of writer. I didn't like leaving rough text behind me as I went. I liked to get each chapter as polished as possible before moving on. The problem with that is that I frequently got stuck, as maybe one aspect of a character or plot wasn't quite clear to me, and I couldn't go on until I had resolved the issue. So sometimes a whole week would pass by before I could carry on.

I've decided to try the first approach, and see if it work for me. The thing is, I don't think either one of them is right or wrong. You use whatever works for you. I just want to try the rough render method to see if I can get more work done, as the line by line method is so slow. I just hope I can get past the nagging feeling that I have left this unfinished mess behind me, as I know it will be calling me to go back and clean it up.

I'll let you know if it works.

No comments: